Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Poems I wrote in 1975

While looking through a box of stuff last week I found a note book with some 'vintage poetry' from the summer of 1975, when I was headed into 11th grade. I attended a special sort of summer school called Twin Cities Institute for Talented Youth (TCITY). These two poems which were printed up in a booklet at the end of the session:

people
beware of
this lake.

it will
steal any
thing you happen
to be throwing
around.

our family
and friends
have
lost
two frisbees
one shoe
four tennis balls
three nerf footballs
and one volkswagen key.

people
beware of
this lake.

----------

memories of a lost tennis shoe

my tennis shoe
you were my favorite shoe
you never gave me a blister,
like my new shoes do.

You were okay
even if you were ragged and
unpadded.

i'm sorry
but i couldn't stop my brother
when he picked you up
and threw you out
so far in the lake,
where you floated for a while
and then sank
before i could reach you.
7/15/1975

No comments: