Tuesday, September 20, 2005

What to do, what to do...

I am a disabled person, and as such receive monthly payments from SSDI. I can work part-time and want to work. Social Security will permit me to make up to $830.00/month gross, before I loose my benefits from them. My disability is not evident by my looks.


So imagine I go out for a job interview. We talk about the rate of pay and hours I would be expected to work, only to find out the company pays to much! ! Can you imagine going into a perspective employer and telling them their rate of pay is to high? And of course, they wanted to know why I wouldn't accept that amount per hour. I can almost hear some managers thinking, if we pay her less, will she work less? Now legally, I don't have (and most people tell me not to) say anything about the fact that I am disabled, which they would know if I tell them I am on SSDI. And from what I understand, once I tell them I am disabled, then they can turn around and ask me (legally) what the nature of my disability is.


It isn't an imaginary situtation. It happened to me yesterday. I went on an interview for a part-time position that I am really, really interested in. I did tell them I was on disabled, and on SSDI. Company rep. said it shouldn't be a problem


It will be interesting to see if I am offered the position.

No comments: